Dell Linux OS Architect in Austin, Texas
Senior Principal Software Engineer
The Software Engineering team delivers next-generation solutions for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and develop software for platforms, peripherals, applications and diagnostics — all with the most advanced technologies, tools, software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners.
Join us as a Linux OS Architect on our Software Engineering team in Austin to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact.
This is a new and exciting position for a Linux OS Architect with Dell's Client Platform Software Engineering organization, and it is focused on the Linux Operating Systems. This Engineer will be responsible for advanced engineering in the development of technologies for modern client solutions shipped with new client products. Also, serves as the lead strategist for a technology for collection of technologies that constitute a solution.
• Focus on Front-End and Next-Generation Release
• Engage with CTO (Chief Technology Office), platform System Architects, Product Marketing, and Front End Core Teams
• Gather platform and industry requirements for next-generation platforms and/or SW to develop detailed NUDDs (New Unique Different and Difficult analysis)
• Work with other Architecture Teams and/or partners to define Linux OS impact for BIOS, Firmware or Application SW releases
• Engage in industry Forums
• Early Engagement with Third-Party Partners
• Lead innovation and develops the opportunity for patent engagement/involvement, including open source related activities with the Linux community.
• Fine tune requirements during front end phases and develop architectures needed to deliver requirements
• Have knowledge of coding, with a strong coding mindset and the ability to deliver concept code development, POCs, etc
• An experienced architect who has developed/designed key elements of the Linux Operating Systems or solutions that interact extensively with the Linux OS kernel
• Understands OS components well enough to understand how to optimize for memory/power/performance and is well versed in code profiling tools
• Has background writing low-level device drivers and understands how to streamline code for both key code metrics in execution space as well as the code maintenance/support aspect
• Development skills including proficiency in C, C++ and C#
• Good understanding of SW updates technologies.
• 12+ years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience; or 8+ years with a Master's degree; or 5+ years with a Ph.D.
• Experience with UEFI or BIOS programming
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life -- while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here (https://jobs.dell.com/diversity-and-inclusion) .
Application closing date:
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here (https://jobs.dell.com/equal-employment-opportunity-policy-statement) .