Dell Senior Principal Software Engineer in Austin, Texas
The Backplane Engineering team delivers next-generation application enhancements and new products for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and develop software for platforms, peripherals, applications, and diagnostics — all with the most advanced technologies, tools, software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners.
Join us as a Senior Principal Software Engineer on our Backplane Engineering Development team in Round Rock, TX to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact.
What you’ll achieve
As a Senior Principle Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing sophisticated storage subsystems and software basis the customer’s business goals, needs and general business environment creating storage solutions.
• Participate in the preparation, review and evaluation of embedded server storage software/storage requirements and specifications
• Prepare written specifications for tasks of varied complexity from verbal requirements, working with internal and external development partners
• Use defined software lifecycle development and debug methodologies
• Review and implement test strategies for embedded software running on microcontrollers in backplane ecosystems.
• Perform activities necessary to take a design from concept to production which may include architecture definition, schematic reviews, design reviews, debug, test, issue resolution and factory support.
• Drive product issues to closure with true root cause and a strong sense of urgency and ownership
• Partner and work across organizations and sites to ensure success in the business
• Exert influence cross-functionally to meet goals and support the team
• Interaction with extended teams locally and at other Dell Development centers worldwide
• Work with suppliers to meet technical deliverables and quality goals
• Develop technical solutions to meet business requirements
• Manage and upkeep software to support business operations
• Assist in training, work assignment and mentoring of less experienced developers
• Be a technical leader across engineering organizations.
• Participate in the implementation, and configuration of platforms and engineering storage subsystems that ensure the highest levels of availability, security, and performance.
• Define, develop, and demonstrate cutting edge engineering practices for the greater organization.
Take the first step towards your dream career
Every Dell Technologies team member brings something unique to the table. Here’s what we are looking for with this role:
• 10+ years of software development experience with a degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
• Able to identify and lead technical efforts driving clarity out of ambiguity for more junior engineers.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
• Agility to adapt to technologies and processes quickly
• Lead and Mentor other engineers across different skill levels
• Ability to apply extensive knowledge of application programming and analysis
• Detailed understanding of key business processes
• Ability to communicate and translate needs to technical solutions, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
• Strong development/programming experience
• Proven experience in software development methodologies
• Self-starter, and Self-motivated, able to learn and work autonomously.
• Elevate technology and consistently apply best practices for continuous improvement
• Ability to lead, motivate and direct a workgroup
• Capability to influence others to achieve results
• Strong knowledge of embedded systems, backplane and/or storage protocols
• Experience with DELL PowerEdge servers / storage solutions
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life -- while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here (https://jobs.dell.com/diversity-and-inclusion) .
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here (https://jobs.dell.com/equal-employment-opportunity-policy-statement) .